fredag 8 juli 2011

Games on mobile devices

Hello!

I've recently given in to temptation and bought myself an iPhone 4. Like any computer nerd worth his salt, I've always reviled Apple and their products (namely Mac's), but I guess even my self-imposed restrictiveness when it comes to electronic gadgets has a limit. To be fair I've owned an iPod for quite some time, since my previous mp3-player by Sony did not like when you played *cough* *cough* "home-made" mp3-files on it (i.e. ones not downloaded legally or ripped from a CD you own). Not to mention that the iPod had a much better interface than my previous mp3-player.

This is a blog about video games so that's what I had in mind writing about, believe it or not! I've downloaded Resident Evil 4 Lite for my iPhone, as well as Mega Man II Lite. Now, my favorite genre when it comes to video games is without a doubt games that include some sort of action component. For example Mega Man is an action game where timing is of the outmost essence. This becomes a bit of a hassle when it comes to playing a game like this on a mobile device which - unlike the 3DS for example - has no buttons. You instead need to use the touch screen to control the game, and it's not perfect since you can never really tell when you've "pushed" the right button, and it doesn't always respond. Unlike on a real console where pressing a button always nets you the same result. Games like Angry Birds work fine on an iPhone since it's a slower kind of game, but trying to jump in Mega Man and failing is equal to dying instantly.

Some people on various discussion forums on the Internet claim that the iPhone and its imitators is going to take over the handheld gaming scene completely, which I think will not be the case because of the reasons I've discussed in this post. The library of games available might be very extensive, and downloading a game sure is cheap (although at least on my iPhone I have to download it to the computer via iTunes first, because of limitations imposed by my operator (I think)), but a console like 3DS is made purely (well) for gaming and it shows.

Laters!

Inga kommentarer:

Skicka en kommentar